Re: pressing piston pins

To: "Rick Sorak" <HTPC@midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: pressing piston pins
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:25:01 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Rick,

According to my machine shop, no. They have a special oven that heats the pistons and uses a built in press to drive in the pin after the piston is hot enough. My pistons have always come back to me undamaged and no pin has ever walked out. Then again, they were shocked to hear how easily I used a BBQ and a home freezer to put on a starter ring gear.
After the BBQ ring gear thing, I think I'd be tempted to at least try it once before I took it to the machine shop.

Glen Byrns

Hello spridgets,

 Anyone here installed piston pins? Can I just put the pins in the
 freezer and the rods in a 250 degree oven and then carefully push
 them in?

--
Best regards,
Rick