Re: Seatbelts

To: David N Waldmann <david@vermonthardwoods.com>
Subject: Re: Seatbelts
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 12:05:12 -0400
Cc: "Spridgets-Autox.team" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
David N Waldmann wrote:

> I need to put seatbelts in my '72. There are what I believe are mounting
> points on top of the wheel wells for three point belts. Any recommendations as
> to what works and a good place to get them?

I have had great luck with VW seat belts. My son parts out VWs and the
belts from the back of a Golf work in a Midget. 3 point smooth operating
inertia belts.
There is a ball that locks them in the vertical position, this ball is
NOT the inertia lock ball just like a pin ball tilt mechanism. Open the
plastic case, remove the ball and the belts work perfectly mounted in a
Midget.
VWs are late 80s early 90s Golf, GTI, and maybe Jetta. Other models may
work too.
Sure some people may frown on putting used belts in a car but they are
definately better then the originals and at least 20 years newer.
When was the last time anyone actually *inspected* their seat belts in
what ever they drive today? And I am sure new belts are available from
your local VW dealer.
Most junk yards will sell a set of belts for $5, some in my area are
happy to give them to you since they are not recycleable and you happen
to be a "regular".

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ