RE: Chemical rust removal (muriatic acid)

To: "Gerard" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <spridgets-mod@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Chemical rust removal (muriatic acid)
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 01:00:41 -0400
Gerard,

Muriatic Acid is a diluted form of Sulphuric acid.  Not the greatet choice
for derusting. It reduces good metal as fast as it reudces rust and leaves
no protective coating.

Try Phophoric acid.  It will desolve the rust at a faster rate than it
desolves the good metal.  It also produces less fumes and leaves a
protective coating that lasts for several weeks (preventing rerusting).

You can dip parts in it or brush it on, rinse with water and let air dry.

If you want to continue to use Muriatic, you can treat the metal with
phosphoric after and it will not rerust for a couple of weeks.  Or scrub the
part with brillo after you have "cleaned it".  The soap in Brillo contains
phosphates which prevent rerusting (a very weak form of phophoric acid).

Kevin V.