Suspension Done - New Problems ('74 Midget)

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Suspension Done - New Problems ('74 Midget)
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 22:50:21 -0400
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Good news - bad news.

Good news:

Finished up the rear suspension bushings this evening.  Car did seem to
list slightly to the driver's side, but when I bounced each corner it
seemed to settle in some and lists even less now.  It was balanced before I
did the bushings.  Wonder if I reversed the sides the springs were on and
they had settled to even before.  Anyway, on to the other news.

Bad news:

Took the Midget for a test spin to check out the suspension work.  Still
pulls to the left, but a bigger problem looms.  A little hard to start with
big starter kick out on second crank.  Got it run - pretty rough.  On full
choke, smelled gas fumes more than usual it seemed, but they appeared to
dissipate after a minute or so.  Drove just over a mile and the engine lost
power and cut out completely.  Pulled into a Wendy's.  First no turn over
or click at all.  Then engine barely did one turn - this is like my ongoing
starter problem which I was going to look into after the suspension.  Guess
what?  It's after the suspension and it's forcing me to look at it.  :)
Anwyay, pushed the car up the hill, got a runnning start and got it started
popping the clutch in second gear.  Got maybe half way home and the engine
died again.  Pulled over.  Luckily close to home so I hoofed it back to the
homestead.

Now I'm waiting for my wife to come with the reliable Honda.  I'll see if
letting it set allows me to start it.  If not, there's jumping it.  She can
follow me home in case I cut out again.  No main roads for me - gotta stick
with the slower residential lanes.

I'll be checking out the carbs once I have a flashlight to see with to see
if they are sticking, I can check the float bowls for gas.  I already
verified that the fuel pump is pumping gas to the fuel filter at least.
What else?

Seems this car just doesn't want to go to shows.  Couldn't get on the road
for MG '98 and now with a show down in Tom's River this Sunday it does
this.  <sigh>

Thanks for listening and any suggestions.

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget