Re: Bad Clunk

To: john.kahoon@juno.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bad Clunk
From: Frmjr45@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:36:24 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
     A word of warning concerning the clunk from the rear end, I had a friend
with a GT6 w/wire wheels, and he experienced the same clunk accelerating and
decelerating.  We noticed the wheels kept loosening up, and the knockoffs had
to be retightened frequently.
   One night I got a call for help from my friend, who had a rear wheel come
off.  He was parked in the median strip at an area(very fortunate for him)
that was a low speed zone.  After we got the car jacked up, we saw that the
hub extension splines were practically non-existent!  Using some thin sheet
metal, we were able to jam the wheel on so he could limp home.
    We got a set of hub extensions from a junk yard and replaced the worn
ones, and the problem went away.  Someone told me that it may be caused by not
checking the knock-offs regularly for tightness, and the looseness causes the
splines to wear off.  The insides of the wheels seemed to be okay.  I'm still
not sure how the wheel parted company, but it may have had to do with
vibrations from the loose fit.

Russ Mullaly
Ellicott City,MD
1962 Midget