Re: Bad Clunk

To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Bad Clunk
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 20:57:35 -0400
Cc: Spridgeteers <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Adrian Jones wrote:

> Well, folks, its up to you now.
>
> I had posted this on the main MG list,  but with no luck.
>
> This is on a MG Midget with wire wheels.  Go very slow and then take the
> foot off the gas pedal and there is an immediate ""CLONK" from the back
> (sounds like the back driver's side wheel)
>
> It's getting worse - scared the wife.
>
> There's no play in the wheels or the U joints.  Am I due to replace the
> back end?
> This may be beyond my capabilities.  Anybody have a ballpark on R&R, with a
> used backend?
>
> Thanks to all,   Adrian

Adrian

Some things to check.....
Loose or broken leaf spring.
Bad leaf spring bushings.
Loose brake parts inside the drum.
Loose brake back plate.
If it is the rear end, put the car in 1st gear, engine off, brake off,
and rock the car a bit. This should locate the noise a little closer.
Rock the car from behind, stand on either side and try it to locate the
noise.

If it is the diff, it's not that bad a job.
Used diffs go from $25-$50 (realistic prices all you parts hounds)
It should take a first timer about 4 hours.
I have pulled mine in a parking lot of a car show with minimal tools and
a little help from a concrete block and some friends. (Right Les?)

--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs