Re: Bad Clunk

To: AdrianJones@compuserve.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, robert@woozy.com
Subject: Re: Bad Clunk
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 07:35:23 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
It is only more annoying than dangerous until the splines give out
completely if this happens on the rear you will not be able to drive the
car because the spline will just spin in the wheel, However if this
occurs on the front you will have lost your braking ability as the
brakes are attached to the hub and the wheel will continue to spin  The
front hubs do not wear as much as the rears so it might just be worn
wheels causing the problem up front.
Regards,
Peter.

>Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 10:12:04 -0500
>To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>,
>        Spridgeteers <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
>From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
>Subject: Re: Bad Clunk
>
>Hey Adrian,
>
>I have the same "clonk" on my ww Midget. Since I have replaced the
>differential, springs, bushings and u-joints, I think I can rule those
out.
>I was always told that this noise came from worn splines on the ww hubs
and
>wheels. I also have this clonk in the front and everything up there is
>pretty new and tight, so I need new hubs, bearings and wheels all
around.
>Priced the parts for all four to be about $1000. The good news is that
I'm