Front Suspension Done!

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Front Suspension Done!
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 19:30:14 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Halelujah!  The front suspension work is done!  Heck, I only wanted to
change the inner control arm bushings and upper trunion bushings to poly
and put in new wheel bearnings.  But as the list knows, my initial
ignorance, lack of proper tools (at first) and delays on parts made this
into a long procedure.

But it's done!  Thanks to all the list for the many words of encouragement
and good advice.  No way I could have done it without you.

The end of this job is another one of those events that teaches you "watch
for the simple things".  I was finishing up the job by putting the upper
trunion bushings in on the passenger's side.  As the list knows, I was
having a devil of a time with this.  I thought I wasn't lining it up
correctly, putting the jack in the right place, not hitting the fulcrum pin
hard enough :), etc.  I spent hours on the problem which is embarassing to
admit, but there it is.  Finally I got fed up and decided to take it apart
and just fit the pin through the end of the shock arm and try to figure out
what is making this so difficult.  In short, the bolt was too big for the
hole.  :)  Good grief.  Such a simple thing.  Instead of beating on the
shock arm, I took the bolt to a machine shop who shaved ever so little off
the bolt and presto - end of problem.

Again, thanks to the list for the help...next post continues my brake
questions if you can stand any more.  :)

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget