Re: POR 15 question

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@Exit109.com>, "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: POR 15 question
From: "Larry and Sandi Miller" <millerls@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 18:37:50 -0700
Cc: "Valentine" <valntine@postoffice.ptd.net>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
1. POR 15 DOES NOT work over real live rust. I don't care what they say.

2. POR 15 works best over sandblasted metal but the metal still needs to be
treated with a metal prep to dissolve any rust traces not removed from the
bottom of pits.

3. Like Ulix said, POR 15 will form an enclosure that looks like the part is
incased in plastic, if you use the clear. Breaks in this surface need to be
touched up if they go to bare metal. POR 15 now comes in a non UV sensitive
formula that is slightly more expensive.

4. POR 15 is very thin and flows very well and leaves a super looking
surface on any thing that is flat.  Its hard to not get runs on vertical
surfaces.  I did the bottom of a Bugeye with the stuff using a brush.
Everyone that looked at it thought that I had sprayed it on.

5. Surface must be absolutely dry when the POR15 is applied. POR 15 will
trap
any and all moisture and the piece will rust worse the it would laying
outside in the rain. I tested this aspect over the winter last year.

6. Surface remains flexible. If the surface that it is applied to is very
smooth, POR 15 does not stick real well, hence it works best over
sandblasted metal.

7. Use gloves, get it on your hands (or face in my case) and you have to
wear it off.

8. They sell a thinner so that you can spray it on but I think it is easier
with a brush (less toxic).  Use only in well ventilated places.

Like most things it kind of works but never as well as the vendor would lead
you to believe.

The only rust treatment that goes on over real live rust that I have used
and that seems to work  is a product called "Extend". I did the bonnet seams
on my Bugeye over 20 years ago and one side has just started to rust.  This
product must also be used only on metal that is 100% dry. Like POR 15 it is
very prone to trap moisture and make the rusting worse.

Larry Miller