RE: Handbrake cable

To: "'DOUG INGRAM'" <dingram@tnet.net>
Subject: RE: Handbrake cable
From: Dave Formstone <dformsto@compusmart.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 22:38:09 -0600
Cc: "'Sprite list'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Doug, the first thing to do before touching the hand brake adjustment is to
make sure the rear hydraulic brakes are adjusted properly. The way to do this
is to loosen the hand brake so that there is plenty of slack in the cable. Then
jack up the rear end to get the wheels off the ground. Start with either wheel
and adjust it until the wheel won't turn, back off the adjuster until the wheel
will turn but with a little contact with the brake shoes. Do the same on the
other wheel. Now it is time to adjust the hand brake cable. One thing to keep
in mind once the rear brake adjusters are warn they are prone to slipping. If
this happens they will need replacing.
Hope this helps.
Dave Formstone
1960 Bugeye