Re: [Spits] Leaf Spring Restoration

To: Daniel Parrott <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Leaf Spring Restoration
From: Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 18:45:11 -0500
I have been wanting to do something to rebuild my springs based on a
couple of articles that I have read about replacing the rubber
buttons.   Of course one of the authors made his out of brass the other
out of nylatron(?) or polyurethane,  They both had access to lathes to
do this.  However, I have not been able to find a source for the buttons
even from a spring shop. Have you found a source?

I am guessing that the rubber disentegrating is a part of what causes
the problem. If the rubber is gone, then you have removed a half an inch
of height or so on the spring  I suspect that having a more resilient
substance would help prevent the sag.

The other thing to consider as a mechanic pointed out to me just a
couple of days ago, the Spit has a negative 2.75 - 4.75 degree camber
specification. To a lot of people even that looks bad.

Roger