[Spits] Leaf Spring Restoration

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spits] Leaf Spring Restoration
From: "Daniel Parrott" <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 11:07:37 -0400
In my frame-off restoration of my Spit Six, I'm dissembling the rear leaf
spring in order to replace the rubber "buttons."  The leafs springs are
being held by four brackets, two "U" shaped brackets with nuts and bolts,
and two more with brackets that encircle the springs instead of bolts.  My
Haynes manual says simply to "bend the leaf clips" to remove the leafs.
Really?  The metal seems substantial and won't want to be easily bent back.

Also, the Rear leaf spring was pretty greasy.  I was able to disassemble the
first three leafs without much trouble.  But as I wire-brushed the top leaf,
I found a note that says "FRONT," but I don't know which way the leafs
should be reassembled.  Which way should these leafs face, not that I
dissembled most of the rear leaf spring?

TIA

Dan Parrott
Savannah, Ga
1980 Triumph Spitfire "PJ"