[Spits] Rear Wheel Stud Replacement

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spits] Rear Wheel Stud Replacement
From: "Dee Jackson" <jjackson12@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 18:43:36 -0400
Long time lurker seeking the collective wisdom of the list.

Long story made short, I had new tires put my Spitfire today, after about 15
years.  The tire place snapped off one of the right rear studs by
over-torquing it.  They've agreed to pay me for the stud and lug nut, and
have said they'd also replace it for me, although it's not bloody likely
I'll let them touch it again.  It's been a while since I've been into the
half shaft, but I'm thinking there's not enough room between the back plate
and the hub to get a new stud in, and that the Churchill tool, or a
reasonable facsimile, will be required.  Am I right?  Can this be done in
situ?  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dee Jackson
Asheboro, NC