Re: [Spits] differential reassembly

To: "'David LaChance'" <dlachance@hemmings.com>,
Subject: Re: [Spits] differential reassembly
From: "Clark W. Nicholls" <cwn74@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:05:42 -0500
I noticed a clicking from the rear of my 74 Spitfire a couple of years ago.
It occurred on turning, not going straight.
(you can feel the clicking by turning only one stub-axle and holding the
other stationary).
To skip the long story about replacing the u-joints...

It turned out to be the washer/bearings (cup shaped) behind 2 of the spider
gears.
Ted Schumacher sent me the replacements, which I have yet to install (I had
a good spare diff). Still wondering how much I need to disassemble to do the
job.

With the case off you can feel the looseness of the 2 spiders if this is the
culprit.

Possibly...

Clark