[Spits] differential reassembly

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spits] differential reassembly
From: "David LaChance" <dlachance@hemmings.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:57:12 -0500
Greetings to the list!

Here's a question for the differential experts out there. After
replacing all the seals and the quarter shaft bearings on my
differential, I reassembled the case and inserted the quarter shafts,
only to find that there was a noticeable notchiness when I rotated the
shafts. With the back cover removed and a quarter shaft inserted, the
spider gears would turn smoothly when the shaft was held at just the
right angle. Tilting the shaft by a few degrees in any direction would
result in that notchy feeling.

I didn't remove the ring gear/spider assembly. The spider gears seemed
to be in excellent shape, with zero play. I think the quarter
shaft/spider relationship might have been changed ever so slightly when
I replaced the differential case gasket. The new paper gasket seemed a
bit thicker than the original. Do I need to be concerned about this? Is
the fact that I can wiggle that side spider gear a tiny bit with the
quarter shaft in it (and the cover off) an indication that the fiber
washer -- which is still present -- should be replaced? And if so, is
there any way to do that without removing the whole spider/ring gear
assembly? (I don't have a case spreader to get the whole thing back
together again.)

Or do I just need to just put everything back together and stop worrying
about it?

Many thanks,

Dave LaChance
Williamstown, MA