Re: [Spits] Tire size revisited

To: <JHMDDS@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Tire size revisited
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:00:13 -0700
That is a rather hard thing to answer.  A lot depends on the wheel offset,
the springs that you use on the front, the arch of the rear spring amoung
other things. The 205 50-15's I am using are about the same circumference as
the 175 70-13's I have on the other car so heightwise, they are the same.
The bugger is the width.  That is where the offset and spring height comes
into play.  You can extend the tire outward if the wheel arch of the fender
is high enough to keep from rubbing or if you roll the fenders.

Another possible problem is that the rubbing often comes at the firewall
when the normal offset and tire width are exceeded.  A couple of whacks with
a large rubber mallet will often cure that issue.

I have not answered your question but I hope I have provided foof for
thought.  It is really pretty much a trial and error situation whenit comes
to going with bigger tires.

Joe