Re: [Spits] Tire cracking

To: "'Doug Braun'" <doug@dougbraun.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Tire cracking
From: "Bill Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:17:31 +0100
> Behalf Of Doug Braun
>
> I feel sorry for you Brits who have to put up with an
> overly-paranoid inspection system (as well as high
> road and petrol taxes).  Especially for a car that is
> only four years old!

Yet so many people are determined to avoid this "overly-paranoid inspection
system" at all costs. A few years ago I bought a Triumph Vitesse to break
for parts. The car was quite appalling, yet had a valid test certificate. I
knew what I was buying, so I was not stung.
On stripping this car I found some appalling structural and mechanical
faults. Worst of these was an eight foot long crack along one of the chassis
rails! This had not happened overnight, I doubt whether the car had been
subject to a genuine MOT inspection for at least five years. Doubtless he
had some dodgy contacts who could provide mail order inspections.
The MOT system is in general a reasonable inspection regime, which keeps an
awful lot of dangerous vehicles off the road. It's not perfect, recent
centralisation and computerisation has caused more problems than it has
solved. Nevertheless, If you saw how many three year old repmobiles fail
their first MOT, and for what faults, you might appreciate what some people
are prepared to tolerate in their vehicles.
Cheers,
Bill.