Re: [Spits] Tire cracking

To: "Matthew Milkevitch" <mmilkevitch@yahoo.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Tire cracking
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:00:17 +0100
Hi, Matt

>  I have notices some relatively minor cracking on the sidewalls of my
> Spit's tires.  Nothing major...and no cracking is evident in the tread
> area at all.
>  Would this car be safe to drive approximately 3 h?  Am I just asking for
> trouble here?  My plan is to replace these tires, but I'd like to move the
> car to another location first.

Your description suggests they are old tyres for a start - and may have
spent some time either standing or under-inflated. I think they would
possibly be a Department of Transport failure item in the annual test we
have in the UK, so driving on them could be very risky. You don't say how
far you have to go before changing them for new ones, but I think I'd keep
your road speed as low as possible to avoid over-flexing the sidewalls and
risking a blow-out(s). From a safety aspect, I'd change them before
driving*** - but it's your car and your life :::)))

Jonmac

*** Even with new tyres fitted it's always sensible to 'break in' tyres so
there's some suppleness in the walls and tread before high speed use. I
normally drive gently on new ones for about 300 miles.