Re: [Spits] Tire cracking

To: "'Matthew Milkevitch'" <mmilkevitch@yahoo.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Tire cracking
From: "Rarebits" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:10:02 +0100
> Behalf Of Matthew Milkevitch
>
>   I have notices some relatively minor cracking on the sidewalls of my
> Spit's tires.  Nothing major...and no cracking is evident in the tread
> area at all.
>
>   Would this car be safe to drive approximately 3 h?  Am I just asking for
> trouble here?

Hi Matt,
Your call. The following was published in the newsletter of the Federation
of British Historic Vehicle Clubs - it may provide some food for thought:

"23 May
After a fatal accident, FBHVC says check your tyres!

And by that, it doesn't just mean checking the tyre pressures and making
sure there is enough tread, but making sure the side walls are in good
condition and the tyres not unduly old.

Her Majesty's Coroner for Manchester has written to FBHVC with details of an
accident that took place last year in which the driver of an H registered MG
B lost his life when a rear tyre burst on the M56. Evidence shows that the
driver was a skilled mechanic and a careful and experienced driver who was
not travelling particularly fast at the time. The car was described by
police as being maintained in an excellent condition. The surviving
passenger said that just before the accident the driver had commented that a
"tyre wobble" had developed and he was going to "drive through it". The
wobble went briefly, but then the tyre burst, causing the car to spin, clip
a kerb and flip over.

Subsequent investigation showed that - although hardly used - the tyre was
25 years old. It was one of a set of as-new tyres and wheels purchased at an
autojumble the previous year for use for show purposes - at the time of the
incident the car was on its way to a show at Oulton Park."

I have a number of little used cars which have been running on older tyres.
The above has made me quite mindful of the potential dangers,
Cheers,
Bill.

Rarebits4classics

PO Box 1232