Re: [Spits] Inconsistent Fuel Gauge Readings Question

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Inconsistent Fuel Gauge Readings Question
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:13:51 -0400
On 2 Oct 2007 at 16:15, Chmura, Mike wrote:

> All electrical items in the car appear to work fine including
> the Temp Gauge, which I believe is in line with the Fuel Gauge,
> at least according to the schematic.

I'm pretty sure you must mean in parallel with the Temp Gauge, not in
line with it!

> The problem occurs after about 15 minutes or so of driving
> the car, when the needle in the gauge drops back to empty.

Your problem is, you are driving much too hard.  Or else you need to
buy gas in larger incements.  Spitfire or no, buying gas by the pint
won't get you very far.

> One time after driving longer the gauge came back to
> life and was fine that day.

Well, obviously you stopped to buy gas sometime during that day,
didn't you?

Seriously though, it sounds like a carburettor problem, which is to
say, it is electrical.  I don't recall with confidence whether the
fule guage (note the proper spellings) reads full with lower
resistance or higher resistance, so I can't say whether an empty
reading means a short or an open circuit.  But IIRC correctly it
means an open circuit.  You have a bad connection somewhere, anywhere
from the voltage source all the way back to the sender.  The apparent
correlation to driving time might be due to drying up water than had
condensed into a connector diring the night.  That may be a clue as
to where to look.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com