[Spits] that 48-state capitol tour

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spits] that 48-state capitol tour
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 22:07:15 -0400
I just finished reading the last installment of Dan Herrman's 40-
State Capitol Tour story, published in three parts in Spitfire & GT6
Magazine.  It must have been quite an adventure!  15,000 miles, 63
days, visiting and photographing all 48 continental US state capitol
buildings.  (See http://www.redeyewi.com/.)

It made me want to do it myself.  I drove some of those roads back
1970, the summer after my college graduation.  That trip was a 10,000
mile tour of the country from Virginia to California and back with my
twin brother and two friends in a VW bus.  Took a lot of similar
pictures but we weren't interested in capitol buildings.

A few things about Dan H's trip stuck me as curious, car-wise.  He
mentioned all the oil changes and break fluif checks and tire checks
and plug swaps and carb mixture tweaking for elevation.  But he never
mentioned setting the valves or the ignition timing.  O' course, if
he had electronic ignition the timing wouldn't need checking, but the
valves would.  Also I wonder how good his seats were!  15,000 miles
in my Spitfire seats would be a pain in the butt, literally.

Damn, I wish I had the time and the money and the patience to do a
trip like that again...

Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

11:10 AM