Re: nuts for Spitfire wire wheel adapters

To: ZoboHerald@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: nuts for Spitfire wire wheel adapters
From: M D Nugent <carcentric@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 21:08:10 -0700 (PDT)
I know from experience that the ones Victoria British sell are too tall
- they don't allow the wheel to sit where it should (I think it was
Jeff who actually lost a wheel while driving using those nuts).  They
will argue with you that they're the correct ones, however . . . .

The nuts for a TR3/4 splined adapter are 7/16" so they won't work
(unless you upgrade to 7/16" studs, which is not a bad idea).  For the
record, they're tapered on both ends (again, for clearance with the
wheel) and are about 7/16" tall (the hex sided part is only about 1/4"
high).

If you don't want to change studs and use the TR3/4 double-beveled
nuts, I'd recommend having a set of Spitfire nuts beveled on both ends.
 I remember reading something once that any threads longer than the
bolt/stud is in diameter add no strength.  By that rule, the overall
height of turned down Spit nuts could be as little as 3/8".

MDN

===     http://www.vtr.org