tie rod resolution

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: tie rod resolution
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:43:20 -0400
Thanks all of you who responded.  Some of the play was the steering
rack moving; the rubber bushings are good (I replaced one side a year
ago).  That seems to be a design feature.

The free play was mostly at the outer end, requiring a new end,
ordered from TRF, reasonably easy to replace if you're clever.  I'll
have to re-align, but what the hey, that's life.

Took the inner end apart.  It had a steel cup, not nylon, and there
was no sign of wear at all, none, zippo.  It had no danger of letting
go.  All the nuts were tight.  I re-lubed, put it together, re-
tightened everything.  It seems fine.  Wish I hadn't taken it apart.
I liked that funky wire wrap holding the rubber boot on.  Had to
replace it with a cable clamp.

Next week I should get the tie rod end, and we're back in business!

Thanks again everyone.
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org