Determining rear end rattle?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net (Spitfires)
Subject: Determining rear end rattle?
From: s1500@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 15:53:05 +0000
Driving the Spit lately has been going very well. No breakdowns, no major gas
consumption, none of that.

But what's cheesing me off is the rattle I can't seem to get rid of. I've cured
the other rattles on the car, which makes the rear one that much more
noticeable.

The rattle sounds like metal on metal(but no clanging or anything like that),
and much more noticeable with the top up(okay, that one's obvious).  A few
weekends ago, I removed the rear cockpit panel, and tightened up the fuel tank
mounting bolts. No effect. What I didn't check(and it will be tough) is the
vapor separator tank. Would that be big enough to cause some rattles? If so, I
guess I could wrap up the clamp in tape.

But what else could be doing it? It doesn't seem drivetrain related. The rear
bumper's on fine, spare tire's bolted down, trunk latch secure, the exhaust
mounting bolts seem fine, etc. I even took out my big plastic toolbox that's
wedged between the rear cockpit panel & turn signal, but no dice. I think I
might transfer my tools & spare parts to cardboard boxes & distribute them
evenly.

One by one I'm gonna narrow it down.

--
http://infaux.net