Re: Dodged a bullet....?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dodged a bullet....?
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:27:15 EST
In a message dated 1/22/2006 6:17:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
parrotthead01@comcast.net writes:

I think  that I dodged a bullet here.  So here's my question.  If I had  lost
oil to the point that my oil pressure fell and my oil pressure "Idiot"  light
came on, and if I immediately shut down the engine, would the loss of  oil
pressure would have already caused significant  damage?

==AM==
I'd say there's a good chance that it would NOT have caused significant
damage. (How's THAT for a vague, noncomittal statement? :-) )

In my then-16-year-old stupidity, I inadvertently ran my first Herald's
engine nearly dry of oil one day, to the point that it almost seized.
Obviously,
I decided to shut it down. Managed to walk to the nearest Gulf  station and
procure four cans (yeah, that's how long ago this was;  they were cans, not
plastic bottles!) of their finest Gulfpride 10W30. Got  back to the car, poured
all four quarts in, started up and drove away...and  never had a similar
problem
again with that motor (although I did blow a head  gasket a couple years
later).

Tough little beasts, these Triumphs!

--Andy Mace

===     http://www.vtr.org