Re: From Brakes to Spring Bolts

To: kirkbcrawford@kirkanddonna.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: From Brakes to Spring Bolts
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:34:32 EST
In a message dated 1/16/2006 2:03:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
kirkbcrawford@kirkanddonna.com writes:

Yesterday I was servicing the rear brakes on my 1968 Spitfire Mk  III.  I had
it up on stands and all the wheels off and the brake drums  off.  As I was
putting the brake drum back on I noticed something  shiny.  I looked up under
the body and saw that one of the bolts on  the top of the rear swing spring
had backed its way out at least an  inch!  It was the oil from the diff that
was shiny.  Well I  finished putting the brakes together and then climbed in
and took the cover  over the spring bolts off to check it out.  It turns out
that of the 6  bolts holding the spring and diff together, 4 were loose!
Ooops. Needless  to say, I removed the bolts, cleaned them up and put them
back on tightly  this time.

==AM==
Forgive my correcting your terminology, but do you really mean bolts?
Usually, the spring is held to the diff. with nyloc nuts and flat washers on
studs.
I don't know if it really makes all that much difference, but I've never
seen before what you describe, even on spring hold-downs where (GASP!) the
nylocs have been reused!

--Andy Mace

===     http://www.vtr.org