Re: Suspension question and more...

To: "David Mayer" <celiracer81@hotmail.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Suspension question and more...
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 22:56:37 -0700
Doug,
I am assuming that your comments are mostly regarding later cars.  The early
fixed spring cars don't have a spring sag problem.  And with the shorter
axles, if you have gas charged shocks, the change in camber is more of a
problem because the later long axle cars have an exagerated negative camger
to begin with and bringing the camber to a more neutral position appears to
help.

The other issue is that the later cars were heavier and therefore the weight
resistance to the gas charged shocks tends to offest the charge to a greater
degree than the earlier lighter cars.

My comments are limited to the early short axle cars and are made entirely
from experience.  I tried KYB shocks on a Mk1 and a Mk2 Spit and had the
same problem both times.  I ended up selling the rear shocks to the owner of
a 1500 and they worked just fine.

Regards,
Joe