Re: Replacing a thrust washer w/o removing engine?

To: s1500@comcast.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacing a thrust washer w/o removing engine?
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:23:10 -0500
At 05:38 PM 11/30/05, TR250Driver@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/30/2005 5:23:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>s1500@comcast.net writes:
>
>I do  hear a knocking
>sound when revving up the engine, and it looks like I'm  gonna have to
>get down there & replace  it.
>

>Hey, I am not an engine rebuilder but having gone thru knocking noises
>before on my 1500, I would first suspect the rod bearings.  Very
>common  problem
>with that engine.

Knocking is rod bearings in my experince, especially when revving a
stationary car.

>  Rod  bearings can be replaced without removing the
>engine, but only if the crank is  not worn. I am going to say that
>thrust washers
>can only be replaced with the  engine out and then if would be false economy
>to not do the entire bottom  end.

I replaced main, rod and thrust bearings in my 76 without removing
the engine - all but the top half of #1 main - I couldn't get the old
one out, and didn't want to force it.  The top halves weren't worn
too bad.  It was dirty, hard uncomfortable work, but maybe I saved
some time.  I was lucky that the crank didn't seem to be too worn.  I
did this last winter, and put about 2000 miles on the car over the
summer, without anything breaking.  I will be rebuilding a spare
motor this winter, so I won't have to depend on it next year.

Jeff Scarbrough
72 Mk. IV (ret.)
76 1500
76 1500