Re: Replacing a thrust washer w/o removing engine?

To: s1500@comcast.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacing a thrust washer w/o removing engine?
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:38:02 EST
In a message dated 11/30/2005 5:23:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
s1500@comcast.net writes:

I do  hear a knocking
sound when revving up the engine, and it looks like I'm  gonna have to
get down there & replace  it.

Hey, I am not an engine rebuilder but having gone thru knocking noises
before on my 1500, I would first suspect the rod bearings.  Very common
problem
with that engine. Are you having clutch problems?  Can you move the  crankshaft
back and forth from the front by grabbing the harmonic  balancer?  These would
be the symptoms of bad or dropped thrust  washers. I know because this
happened on the 1296 engine.  Rod  bearings can be replaced without removing
the
engine, but only if the crank is  not worn. I am going to say that thrust
washers
can only be replaced with the  engine out and then if would be false economy
to not do the entire bottom  end.
Darrell
70 Spitfire MK3
70 GT6 MK2