exterior door handle part and...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: exterior door handle part and...
From: chip kigar <chip@hexnut.us>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 10:08:37 -0500
Well, yesterday the LH exterior door handle on my '80 1500 stopped
functioning.  I haven't opened up the door yet, but suspect the plastic
bit that is attached to the exterior handle via a cotter pin has broken.
This part has a spring in it and is rather shaped like a P, with a
sprint attached to the descender of the P. Yes, I've been there done
this.  The entire door mechanism is circa $100 and the plastic bit is
NOT available separately in my VB catalog or, evidently, at Spitbits.
Does anyone know a source for this part for somewhat less than $100?
I'd sure like to find a metal version! I hate to add another non
functioning door handle to my pile-o-parts

And another question.. Somehow (my own carelessness) I have THREE union
jack tire valves.  VB doesn't sell them anymore (according to the
counter man, I live about 5 miles from them).  Anyone know a source?   I
COULD switch to the chrome skull set I spotted in JC WHITNEY, but..

Thanks!

Chip Kigar