more on carb tuning

To: "Spitfire List \(E-mail\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: more on carb tuning
From: "Tim Benner" <tbenner@woh.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 22:47:39 -0400
Listers,

Thanks again for all the feedback last week on the carbs that won't idle
below 1500 rpm.

After a week delay, I finally got back to the Spitfire carbs.  We had a WKA
divisional to run last Sat and Sun hence there was no time for the Spit...
but that's another story.

The butterfly does seem somewhat loose on the front carb. I loosened and
centered the butterfly in the shaft and then tested.  There is light getting
around the butterfly but it looks even on all sides; maybe a little tighter
at the top.  I checked the clearance using the same flexible feelers I use
to check piston clearance and it is between .002 and .003 all around.  I
scavenged a butterfly from a parts carb and it measures out the same way.
Is there a spec for this clearance?  Is .003 too much?  Some air has to pass
through or you wouldn't be able to crank or idle it... right?

Tim Benner
1965 MKII