Header Wraps

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Header Wraps
From: rst-john@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:27:24 +0000
Gary:

I installed Thermo Tec header exhaust jackets on my '70 Spit several years ago.
 I have a Buick V-6 installed and there were both engine compartment heat
problems (causing excess foot area heat in the passenger compartment), and
close tolerences to gas lines, brake lines, oil pressure gauge line, etc.

I could not be happier with the product.  A great deal of heat reduction in the
engine compartment (and subsequently in the foot well of the engine
compartment).  When the car is running at operating tempature, you can hold
your hand about a 1/4-inch away from the headers comfortably, and gives me a
lot more confidence that I'm not going to have a fire or melt something
unexpectedly.

With regard to the rust problem, I try not to drive my car in the rain any more
so don't have much experience with that.  However, I just don't get it how they
could cause excess oxidation.  If the jackets or wraps are permeable enough to
allow moisture (water) to get at the header pipe, then they are permeable
enough to allow the moisture to boil off once the car is up to operating
temperature.  I recently had to take off portions of my jackets to replace my
exhaust head gaskets, and observed no discernable difference from
pre-installation.

Good Luck