Colortune and other things

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Colortune and other things
From: Spitfire 1500 <s1500@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:09:30 -0500
        Thanks for the replies and offers regarding the Gunson Colortune. On
impulse, I just bought one from Vicky Brit. But now in retrospect, I
should have taken an offer for less here. Oh well, I'm out of checks anyway.

Either way, I got a chance to play around with it, and things seemed
okay for finding the right color. It stalled when i tried to up the RPMs
from the cable, but I realized I was touching the choke cable. oops.

If it's one gripe about the Weber DGV, it's the way the throttle
assembly links are put together. The arc-shaped(imagine 1/4th of a
circle) assembly is way too close to the l-shaped plate that holds the
choke cable.

The result is sometimes a sticking throttle. I cannibalized my Stromberg
throttle link and attatched it to the lever thing. The ball-end of the
cable + link to housing is prone to jamming up with the choke cable
plate holder. So I found the original nut+bolt with hole in it and
decided to convert over.

Well, wouldn't you know, the cable's about half an inch too short. Even
slacking it up on the threaded end of the cable housing didn't cut it.
And no bike store was open on a Sunday. Never knew that auto parts
stores didn't carry any accelerator cables.

So that's where I'm at, but I am making progress. Tomorrow I get to
fight with the DMV to get collector plates, and that means paperwork!
The old accelerator cable's in a ziploc bag ready for a replacement.
Hopefully a bike shop can just get me a cable with one ball end, plain
on the other side, 4 inches longer.

My idea is to stick the cable end on the furthest hole from the car's
rear and maybe put a few bolts/nuts so when you floor it, the cable
travels over the bolts, thus full pedal travel without the cable going
the wrong way.