Re: Starter Troubles

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter Troubles
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:40:28 -0400
At 06:16 PM 4/10/2005 -0400, Daniel L Parrott wrote:

>Every once in a while (1 out of 20 starts), the old stock rebuilt starter
>would just spin freely when I tried to start the car.  Trying once or twice
>again, the starter would then engage the flywheel and the car would start
>right up.  This restart cost me 5 seconds at the South East Regional in 2002
>Gymkhana and got me a third place in my class.
>
>Thinking that the starter shaft or starter teeth were worn to the point that
>they couldn't engage, I got another stock rebuilt from VB.  Same symptoms.
>
>So last year I opted for one of those high torque starters, thinking that
>with the stock starter, the starter teeth engage the backside of the
>flywheel.  If there were flywheel teeth problems, then it should also be on
>the backside (away from the engine) side of the flywheel.
>
>Since the high torque starters appear to engage the flywheel at the front
>(engine) side of the flywheel.  I thought that I would have a better chance
>of a clean start.  No so.  Now about 50% of my attempts to start are greeted
>with a high speed "whirr", with no engagement of the flywheel.  It seems to
>be worse the colder the car is and the longer it has been since I've driven
>it last.  But it is defiantly worse now than with the stock rebuilt VB
>starter.

Dan,

Sound like the problems I used to have with my 67 Spit and occassionally
with my Morgan.  The problem is usually dirt in the spiral on the shaft
so the bendix can't spit out to engage the flywheel.  It sounds to me
like you have an inertial starter.  I think you should try a "pre-engagement"
starter.  This has the starter solenoid manually move the bendix out to
engage the flywheel before the starter motor starts to spin.

Check out my article on Starter on my Morgan web site:

http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/art019.html

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

If you are reading it in English - Thank a soldier!!