Re: Spitfire Swing Spring

To: "Luke Lewis" <superluke@execulink.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Swing Spring
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:49:10 -0700
Because when the angle of the upright changes, and you don't change the
length of the pivot points between the spring eye and the hub on the
upright, the axle is at a slightly different position in relation to the
road.  In effect the axle, when lengthened (which pushes the hub out an
inch), shortens the distance between the spring eye (fixed) and the axle
(in the vertical plane).  This means the car sits slightly lower (given the
same spring loading), and if the car is lower the wheels camber inwards more -
>How could the length of the axle change the camber, when the hub is pressed
>on to the end?  The upright may sit at a different angle, but the angle of
>the roadwheel is always 90 degrees off of the angle the axle comes out of
>the differential (Which, ideally, would be 0).  This is also why I think the
>real main reason our cars lean left after a "pilot-only" drive is because
>the tire can't "Scrub" back in and relax the spring because the bottom of
>the tire would have to drag along the road about 1/2" to restore the car to
>its real resting height.  I tried this on my alignment rack at work and the
>car doesn't lean left when I park it on the turntables.
Barry Schwartz (San Diego)
---