Re: Spitfire Swing Spring

To: "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Swing Spring
From: "Luke Lewis" <superluke@execulink.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:45:46 -0400
How could the length of the axle change the camber, when the hub is pressed
on to the end?  The upright may sit at a different angle, but the angle of
the roadwheel is always 90 degrees off of the angle the axle comes out of
the differential (Which, ideally, would be 0).  This is also why I think the
real main reason our cars lean left after a "pilot-only" drive is because
the tire can't "Scrub" back in and relax the spring because the bottom of
the tire would have to drag along the road about 1/2" to restore the car to
its real resting height.  I tried this on my alignment rack at work and the
car doesn't lean left when I park it on the turntables.

Luke

'71 and '74 both off the road right now DAMMIT
Parkhill, Ontario