Re: help!

To: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: help!
From: "Livia Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 09:05:40 -0400
Hi,
in my personal opinion, you'll never make a brand new Spitfire out of an old
car. That way of thinking doesn't fly with me.

What you'll end up with, after hundreds of hours of work and many trials and
tribulations, is a fun little classic that, hopefully, someday, will increase
in value and should be treasured and appreciated for what it is.

No matter what you do to this car, you'll never be able to catch up with the
neighbours mini van, you'll never be able to out-run a rice rocket...... That
is not the point in owning a Spit.

In the end, you'll be driving something special that is a lot of fun and makes
up for the lack of luxuries and power of modern cars in many other ways.
Getting the body into good shape is a challenge for most people and some
people may have resort to the help of a body shop, which is a costly option.
But, most of the restoration is just a matter of very hard work and
determination. So far, on the restoration of our GT6, we've put over 800 hours
into body work and restoring components alone. The car is in the process of
being painted and we're celebrating half- way point. Rebuilding the motor and
assembling components will now be EASY work.

By the time we're finished, we'll probably total 1 500 hours of work.
We're counting, just for the fun of it. Have we regretted all this time in the
garage? Not one second of it. It's a labour of love for the car.
So, it's all a matter of how one looks at this. It can be a beloved hobby or a
dreaded job. If it's a job, it's just added stress that one doesn't need.

I really hope you'll not give up on the work because, in the end, it's worth
it. Don't get discouraged, just take it one job, one component at a time.
Good luck and a happy 4th. of July.
Cheers
Liv