Re: Trip to England, and birds in the garage-

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trip to England, and birds in the garage-
From: "Steve Carter" <public@sweavo.34sp.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 08:01:31 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry Schwartz" <bschwart@pacbell.net>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Cc: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 12:55 AM
Subject: Trip to England, and birds in the garage-

> If that doesn't get your attention, I don't know what would :-)

Add beer and curry and you have an unstoppable combination!

> Also, I am hoping to stop in at a pub, probably nearby where
> we would be staying to sample some local ale and fare.

Hmm.  Could be tricky that one.  Not sure where you can find a pub near
london.
(Hint: you are rarely more than 200 yards from one in london, or indeed most
towns)

Seriously, http://www.sirc.org/publik/pub.html is an interesting read -
probably useful for foreigners (and Americans) and interesting for Brits,
who probably never realised these rules existed, though sticking to them
instinctively.

> Is it true that
> the bear is served warm??

We haven't server bear since the middle ages, preferring roast beef
nowadays. (ba-dum!)  An important distinction is between lager, (or 'crap'
in some pubs) that is like european or american beer, golden and clear, and
'bitter' and 'real ale' which are served, and correctly appreciated, at room
temperature.  These are darker brown and have their own community of
connoisseurs and advocates.
http://www.camra.org.uk/SHWebClass.ASP?WCI=ShowCat&CatID=1

For a real British cultural experience, you should get drunk in the pub then
on the way home stagger into a curry house (any indian restaurant) and
sample decent british curry.  It runs rings round the stuff I tried in
California, and is second only to fish-and-chips for national popularity.

> Three birds have flown inside in the past couple of weeks - Any ideas on
> how to prevent this

yes

> (short of leaving the door shut)

ah. no.

Enjoy your visit, but PLEASE don't expect decent service!

Steve