Intermitting starting problem

To: "nass@yahoogroups.com" <nass@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Intermitting starting problem
From: Bob Greene <rgreene@whoi.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:44:29 -0400
Hey LisTeRs:
    79 Spitfire
    With the key in the start position. Random no start, (no starter
engagement) issue. Randomly I hear the starter turning but no engine
turning. Other times nothing? Removed the starter, cleaned up the
(bendex?) rod the starter teeth rides on. Starter works good now. Still
getting random no starter engagement? I changed out the starter solenoid
for a new one. Still get random no starter turn. Checked the small
red/white leads that should provide voltage to the solenoid, no voltage
when the key is held in the start position?
Battery & all electrical connections are clean & good.
    Bad ignition switch?
    Or could the seat belt interlock prevent voltage to the solenoid?
    FYI
    The seats & interior are out of the car for replacement.
Bob Greene
76 TR6 & 79 Spit
www.capecodbritishcarclub.org