RE: >>NASS Intermitting starting problem

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>, "'Spitlist'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: >>NASS Intermitting starting problem
From: "Gene Eighmy" <w4eae@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:11:22 -0500
Bob,

The Seatbelt switch turns the buzzer on and the seat switch doesn't do
anything that I can tell.

You should see a voltage on the Red/White wire and hear the starter
solenoid click when you turn the key to start.  If you don't see a
voltage or hear a click, try using a remote starter or just connect a
wire from Battery plus to the red/white terminal on the starter
solenoid. If it starts clicking, then your ignition switch is bad.  Try
squirting some contact cleaner in ignition switch.  If it still acts up,
replace it.

Another possibility is that the brushes on your starter motor are going
bad.  If it won't turn over, you can bang on the alternator with a
rubber mallet and it will start.  If you can get it to start this way,
then take it to an alternator rebuild shop.  They can replace everything
for about $30-50.

Gene

>     79 Spitfire
>     With the key in the start position. Random no start, (no starter
> engagement) issue. Randomly I hear the starter turning but no engine
> turning. Other times nothing? Removed the starter, cleaned up the
> (bendex?) rod the starter teeth rides on. Starter works good now.
Still