RE: Driver side lean

To: "'Zahid Ahsanullah'" <zahid.ahsanullah@ieee.org>,
Subject: RE: Driver side lean
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@COX.NET>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 08:32:43 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: spitfires-owner@autox.team.net
[mailto:spitfires-owner@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Zahid Ahsanullah
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 8:02 AM
To: Triumphs; Spitfires
Subject: Driver side lean

GlacierMy 1980 Spitfire has always leaned on the driver side and over
the
years I have become used to it. I notice that most spitfires also lean
on
this side. So what's the story? Can it easily be fixed?
best wishes
zahid

The story is that Triumph in their infinite wisdom chose to install that
Swing-Spring to correct the Wheel tuck problem instead of Kas Kastner's
Camber compensator.  In order for it to work, the spring is much softer
than the early springs and therefore, the driver's weight tends to make
the spring collapse after a while.  Replacing the spring will solve the
problem but in a while it will be back.

You can turn the leaves around so the weak part is on the passenger side
and in time it will even out.

Joe