Re: Warning! New Spit owner!

To: "Tim Schuh" <tim@ugly.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Warning! New Spit owner!
From: "Joe Guinan" <spitfirejoe@email.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 08:04:27 +0800
Tim,
That springy bit under the throttle cable is part of the stock carb
installation, so no surprise that it's missing from a DGV conversion.  Notice
that there is a larger throttle return spring connected to the throttle wheel
and to the engine bay valence?  That's all you need for a return spring.  The
original spring seems to cause some binding on the DGV throttle wheel, not
allowing full throttle opening.

You will propbably need to bend the cable anchoring "plate" to get a better
angle of attack for the throttle cable - I did.

I was able to find some small brass "barrel" pieces at a local NAPA store to
use on my throttle cable.  They are threaded on each end and are drilled out
through the middle for the throttle cable.  I had to drill out the hole for my
throttle cable to pass through, as it was not large enough.  One screw "locks"
the throttle cable into the brass barrel.  The other screw goes through the
throttle plate from the carburetor side and then through a nut and then into
the other end of the brass barrel.  The nut allows you to lock the screw to the
throttle plate tightly, and then if you don't screw the brass barrel on too
tightly, it will "rotate" with throttle travel, instead of making the throttle
cable "bend".  If yo let the cable bend too many times, they simply break.

Man - a lot of words to describe this!  I know my web site does not show good
photos of this.  I'll have to go take some detailed pictures of this linkage.
At least it works well now.  I don't break throttle cables and it allows wide
open throttle.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE
spitfirejoe@email.com
1980 Triumph Spitfire "1500"
North American Spitfire Squadron, Member #31
NASS web site - http://www.nasshq.org/
NASS email group - http://autos.group.com/group/nass/
Joe's website - http://www.geocities.com/hearsedudejoe/index.html
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com