driveshafts

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: driveshafts
From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 16:28:52 -0600
For general information, get it where you can, a late model CV joint
driveshaft was on ebay with dimensions. The driveshaft for a single rail
tranny without OD was described as 37 3/4 inch compressed and 39 inch
extended.

I measured my single rail trans with OD driveshaft, very carefully, it was 36
3/4 compressed and 38 extended. When fully extended, the CV joint did not work
as intended.

I need a non OD, CV joint type driveshaft or a rigid two u-joint type drive
shaft that's 38" or one of Ted's two u-joint driveshafts with sliding splined
shaft.

Sliding splines are a weak point, in the long run. I guess I'll buy the solid
driveshaft. The sellor descibes it as just under 38".

I know one of Ted's would work magnificently for several years, but the rigid
one is 20.00 + shipping.

Larry