Re: air filter housings

To: "George P." <spitdriver78@yahoo.com>, Nass List
Subject: Re: air filter housings
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:41:10 -0500
At 09:24 AM 4/1/2004 -0800, George P. wrote:

>I have the dual SU HS-4's.  Is there a single air filter housing (a la the
>early Spits) that fits HS-4s and has the hoses that run to the front of the
>radiator for air intake?  Is there a performance advantage (probably, but not
>noticeable, I'm guessing....) to having a) cooler air going in, and 2) the
>"ram air" effect of having the hoses run to the front of the rad???

There certainly was, for the UK-spec 1500's.

I installed the 2-hose setup on my HS2's, and I actually did
an experiment where I measured the air temp at the carb throat
while driving.  The addition of the housing and hoses
lowered the air temp quite a bit, especially when stuck in traffic
in the summer.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit