General running question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: General running question
From: "David Mayer" <celiracer81@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:11:29 +0000
Hello and happy winter to all of you with snow and very cold weather!

I am getting my car out of the garage for the winter so that we can put
another functioning car in there instead.  So i was having some problems
over the weekend with leaky hoses and a sticking float chamber and i
replaced them and fixed them up so that i wouldn't leak gas anymore.  That
worked fine so i tried starting the car again last night but had more
problems and flooded the engine.  So i started it up again tonight and it
ran (a little rough...but it ran).  It only ran for about 1 minute or so and
the headers began turning red hot!  the heat caused the gas that had leaked
onto the accelerator linkage to start smoking and a rubber hose that i had
accidentally allowed to fall onto them start smoking as well.

Now...i can't imagine that the headers should turn RED HOT in that short
amount of time.  Granted, my carbs are not completely tuned yet and the car
was running at about 3000 RPM.  But if i allowed the rpms to drop much below
that it would stall.  so i was trying to keep it there for the sake of
warming the engine up so i could idle at a normal range.

What could be wrong?  Anything?  Is that normal?  Or am i just not used to
seeing these things happening so i am thinking they are wrong?

Please advise!

Thanks,
  David
  '68 Spit Mk3