Re: General running question

To: David Mayer <celiracer81@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: General running question
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:10:56 -0500
Man, that's alarming.  Even at 3000 RPM, the engine wasn't under load,
was it?  I mean that's a fast idle, but it doesn't take all that much
fuel just to turn the engine over, even at 3000.

I assume the engine was running fine the last time you used the car, so
it wouldn't be something like a badly timed cam.  It seems you're
dumping a lot of unburned fuel through the exhaust valve and its burning
in the header; hence the red heat.  In other words, it's running w-a-a-y
rich.  Your spark plugs and exhaust tips should be all sooted up.  I bet
  you don't need any choke at all on a cold start, either.

David Mayer wrote:
> One other thing...after i turned the car off it started leaking gasoline
> again.  All from the rear float chamber.  I checked the float and made
> sure that it is working freely and not siezing or anything.  HELP!!!
> What is going on?  It doesn't leak gas when it is running or from the
> other float chamber.

You checked the float.  Did you check the valve that the float operates?
  It might be stuck open.  Easy to replace: get a new one in a carb
rebuild kit from spitbits.com.

--
Douglas Frank            Incumbent, n.
HP Co.                     A person of the liveliest interest