Re: [triumph_herald] Don't take no for an answer

To: <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [triumph_herald] Don't take no for an answer
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:52:32 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: <johnzissler@aol.com>

> Hi all,
>          I have been reading this post and I might have missed something here
> (It could have been mentioned in another posting )  but here goes.
> If a vehicle, (and we will stick to lets say Spitfire for simplicity,
> apologies to the Herald owners) should be in a collision and the chassis is
>twisted
> therefore rendering it a write off, then its a relatively simple job of
>getting
> another chassis and bolting the tub on that. Agreed................?

Hi John,
    According to DVLA regulations, as soon as a secondhand chassis is used the
car would be 'Q' plated.

> Ok now lets say i want to get another tub cos this one I have is rusted
> through.......

I think the same would apply here.

> Now my engine has blown and I replace it with another.......................

The running gear is scored by DVL on a points basis.
There is a very useful DVLA leaflet concerning rebuilt vehicles. It details the
points system used to determine vehicle originality for registering kit cars
and specials. I don't believe you are penalised for replacing an engine with a
like type, it just becomes a problem if there is subsequently an inspection and
the numbers don't match. Kit car builders I know have returned their V5s to
DVLA with the amended engine numbers some time before the car is ready for the
road. This means that the 'new' engine counts favourably in the points system
when the car is ready for any necessary inspection.
    As far as I can see it, it's in your interest to tell DVLA if you change
the engine on a car as the obviously different number could haunt you later. A
chassis or body swap will inevitably lead to the issue of a 'Q' plate if DVLA
finds out, so who gains by informing them? If the rules were applied to all of
'our' cars, is there a single restored Herald or Vitesse which wouldn't be on a
'Q' plate?
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--