Re: [triumph_herald] Don't take no for an answer

To: triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [triumph_herald] Don't take no for an answer
From: JohnZissler@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 04:51:33 EDT
Hi all,
         I have been reading this post and I might have missed something here
(It could have been mentioned in another posting )  but here goes.
If a vehicle, (and we will stick to lets say Spitfire for simplicity,
apologies to the Herald owners) should be in a collision and the chassis is
twisted
therefore rendering it a write off, then its a relatively simple job of getting
another chassis and bolting the tub on that. Agreed................?
Ok now lets say i want to get another tub cos this one I have is rusted
through.......
Now my engine has blown and I replace it with another.......................
The wheel rims are buckled so..............................
Oh heck now the speedo has gawn and broke.....................
Whats that about a hole in my petrol tank.................................
You see my point. The whole car could have been altered. In fact it could be
a different car altogether.
               As for the commision plate well that went years
ago..........the PO did away with that on the cars fifth respray from the
original colour in
1974.
About the only thing that is retained is the VR5 document which has the
original Engine / Chassis numbers on it but of course are now useless and
should be
changed when you replace anything. Which is what i intend to do when it is
time to put it back on the road. But it still gets back to my point of this
anomaly of whether the car is a write off or not. You could say I 'wrote' my
car
off when rebuilding it. Should I now inform the DVLA about all the changes and
replacements I have done to it. And if I have inadvertantly caused this
vehicle to be a write off due to my rebuilding it, what else do i have to do?
Thanks

Happy Spitting........(John in the UK)
Spitfire MkII  now in its primer stages
Spitfire MkIII donor car
Emails sent and received are scanned by a resident Virus programme
                    AVG Virus Protection by  WWW.Grisoft.com