RE: soft top frames

To: <JohnZissler@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: soft top frames
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@COX.NET>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:31:09 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: spitfires-owner@autox.team.net
[mailto:spitfires-owner@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of JohnZissler@aol.com
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 1:24 AM
To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: soft top frames

Hi all,
          While we are on the subject of soft tops, I was wondering
which
frame to use on my MkII, does anyone know if it is better to use a MKIII
frame or
the smaller MkII frame. Or is there no difference other than the MkIII
has
more framework than the MkII. In another posting it was mentioned that
the MkIII
frame has a better folding operation. I would also like to know if you
can
install the soft top and then install the hard top at the same time. I
know this
cuts down on available space but is it possible to do this ?.  There is
no
immediate reason for doing this as I am still at the primer stage, but
it would
be nice to put it in my folder for future perusal. Thanks

Happy Spitting........(John in the UK)
Spitfire MkII  now in its primer stages
Spitfire MkIII donor car

I think that there are many more things to consider in making your final
decision.  If you use the mk3 frame, you will also have to use the
windshield attaching assembly for the front of the top.  You will also
have to attach the Mk3 top to the rear and remove the rear tiedowns as
they will no longer be necessary.

It will be far easier (not to mention more quaint) to stick with the Mk2
top and all hardware.  But be aware that in most states in the USA, it
requires a building permit before one can erect a Mk1 or Mk2 Spitfire
soft top.  :)

Regards,
Joe