Re: Dead Dynamo

To: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>, <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dead Dynamo
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:17:48 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>

> On Sunday I had a look at everything - somehow the black wire on the far
> left terminal on the regulator had been pulled off - and also the oil
> pressure lead too had been pulled - if I hadnt known better I would have
> thought someone had sabotaged my car! :o|

Hi James,
    Lat week I had a very similar experience in my 1959 Herald Saloon, so I've
just been through the exact same situation. I was returning from a rally last
Sunday when the ignition light came on. I pulled over immediately (followed by
the other 3 cars I was convoying with) expecting to find a broken fanbelt.
Instead, I found smoke pouring out of a very hot dynamo! I loosened the belt in
case the dynamo was seized - it wasn't, so I disconnected it from the electrics
and limped the 5 miles home.
    When I asked for advice on the Herald list I was referred to the Haynes and
Autopress books as they both give comprehensive details on checking the dynamo
and regulator from first principles - it's all in the factory manuals too. In
my case it turned out to be nothing more than a little corrosion and carbon
buildup on the points in the regulator box (the car had been off the road for
20+ years until recently), together with a slight adjustment. I also took the
opportunity to check the brushes and clean the commutator in the dynamo, but
there was little more than a little carbon there. One of the first points I was
advised to look for was a poor earth to the regulator, ie that black wire you
found loose! I would be fairly confident that this is where your problem lies,
but for your own peace of mind, use your manual to check the dynamo and
regulator,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--